Thursday, May 13, 2010

Building a Nest




I just have to say that I have been having a grand time lately making birds nests for my Etsy shop. As I get settled in this year in our first home, a solid 1934 farmhouse, it seems fitting somehow that I should create nests. I find something very inspirational about roots, and I have been using invasive European beach grass roots (a fine example of eco-friendly crafting and invasive species control working hand-in-hand), washed up seashore tree roots, moss and little bits of lichen to make these lovely nests. I wet felt some eggs out of beautiful blue wool, and that is the finishing touch on this all natural art project.




I love birds nests. I was always making little nests when I played out in the woods and fields as a child. I would use grass, mud, sticks, whatever I could find to make homes for the birds. I was sure if I did a fine enough job, I would trick those birds, and they would move in! Now I always seem to find old abandoned birds nests on the ground and I have them displayed in various places all over the house. They bring me a lot of joy.



My friend, Taryn, just wrote a wonderful post on her blog about nesting with a photo of one of my nests. Check it out here at: Wooly Moss Roots, "Nesting"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lara, thanks for linking to me!
    I hope you are selling lots and lots of nests, they are so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete